Friday, May 13, 2011

My 1st Ride


The affordable option..boo
My 1st Car
Part of being a middle child is that you don’t always get what you want.  When I turned 16, I got a cell phone but I had to pay for my own plan.  When I turned 17, I got my drivers license but I had no car to drive and when I turned 21, I could legally drink but I had no cash.  It’s a sad life.  Thankfully, I am resourceful and have been able to overcome each of these circumstances.  I got a job to pay my cell phone bill, I borrowed my mom's car for four years and I discovered bars across Philadelphia that had penny drink specials.  But at age 24, I couldn’t go another day with out my own set of wheels.

Top 5 Things I wanted in a Car
  1. Cute and girly.
  2. Made some time in last ten years.
  3. Good condition
  4. Somewhat fuel efficient
  5. Under $ 3500 (my savings account)

So really, I was fu*ked.  I searched online, on the used car lots and around the neighborhood.  I learned that unless my savings account doubled in the next few weeks, I was going to be on SEPTA forever.  My mom received a phone call from a friend who knew I was in the market for an automobile; she referred us to her one-legged boyfriend/mechanic “Lucky”.

The Story of “Lucky”
“Lucky” as he referred to himself (even on his name tag) told us to meet him at A to Z Motors in south west Philly.  If you’re not familiar with the territory, young girls from Suburbia, PA, do not go to south west Philly and especially not with men named “Lucky”.  So, I went.
“Lucky” took me into the sketchiest area I have ever seen BUT showed me an adorable, white Ford Focus, 67,000 miles, and only $3,100.   I just HAD TO HAVE IT.  After a test drive, a little bit of paper work, I paid him straight-up cash.  Two weeks later, the transmission was shot…FAIL.

No comments:

Post a Comment