Friday, May 6, 2011

Living Off Pocket Change

Advice # 2.  Wait to cash in all savings bonds at age 23


Can't find a job...What’s a girl to do?
Miss Responsible (again that’s me) opted for the “best option” Why not go back to school?  I had so much fun the first time?  How hard can it be?  How the HELL am I going to pay for it?

Graduate School
I decided to take my “career” to the next level and apply to graduate school.  When applying to the Sport Management program I focused on my interests and what I wanted to learn, who did I think I was? This time around I needed to be more practical if I ever want to get a job.  My mom thought I should apply to medical school, Doctors always have money, just become a doctor” clearly she is unfamiliar with the process, the one that does not begin with a BS in Sport Management.  So I focused on something I was already (slightly) good at, communicating.
 
The Job Associated with (aka paying for) Graduate School
So after being accepted into the program I needed to find a way to pay for this education crap.  So, I interviewed for a graduate assistant position, how hard could this be?  Well frankly, being a graduate assistant is HELL. 

“Reason why being a Grad Assistant SUCKS” #1: A salary of $9000 a year. 
To break that down for you, that is approximately, $ 788.67 (duh of course we pay city taxes) a month, for only ten months.
$ 788.76-  hmm, how far can this go?
-$ 94.20-  God damn smart phone!
-$187.23- Freakin’ ACS student loan corp.
-$151.67- Get off my back Citibank
-$ 68.98-  My car is worth less than this monthly insurance
-$127.00- Really? I’ve always wanted to pay that much to ride SEPTA

So in total that leaves me $159.68 a month.  Really, REALLY? So every month I have the internal battle with myself, to spend or not to spend? That is the question.  My lack of incase of emergency cash is already slim so I might as well spend that money on things I love like…underwear, beer, guacamole and diet doctor pepper.    

No comments:

Post a Comment